Phone: +44 (0)789 777 2100
As a Technical Consultant, I am authoritative on medium and high-end UNIX systems design and configuration. With deep and wide knowledge of operating systems, servers, storage and clusters, as well as LAN, SAN and Virtualisation, I have the knowledge and understanding to propose, design and configure high-end systems within multi-million dollar projects. I bring high levels of professionalism, commitment and attention to detail to every project. I match customer requirements with industry best practices to deliver a design and implementation which provides the best of both.
As solutions do not end with a design, I also have excellent troubleshooting skills to address any issues which may arise later on in the project lifecycle.
UK Government & Defence Security Clearance (SC) valid until 10/03/2017.
- Unix/Linux - design, configuration, performance tuning, hardening.
- Solaris (Solaris 10 SysAdmin, Data Management, and SunCluster Certified Installer certifications)
- RedHat Certified Engineer (RHCE) #110-278-421
- SunCluster - design, configuration, administration, repair
- High-End Servers (SunFire 25k, M3000-M9000)- design, configuration, administration
- Volume Servers (x86, T-Class Servers, Blades)
- Virtualisation - VMWare, Xen, Zones, LDOM, WPAR, LPAR
- Storage / Volume Management - NAS, DAS, SAN, Veritas, SVM, ZFS, LVM, MD - design, configuration, administration
- Programming - Unix Shell (Bourne Shell, Bash, Ksh, etc), C, and other languages
- Author of the Wiley book Shell Scripting: Expert Recipes for Linux, Bash and more (ISBN 1118024486). facebook.com/shellscript has over 3,500 followers.
- Have designed and deployed the Linux strategy and infrastructure for the UK's third largest supermarket, and delivered and supported the first six projects based on that design.
- Wrote software to format Sun iRunbook documentation for publication, which reduced a 5-week Write / Format / Review process into a 1-week Write-and-Review process, dramatically increasing the project's profitability.
Aug 2013 - Present: Build Automation Engineer (DevOps), Thales (Contract)
Working with Jenkins CI, Git, Gerrit, Bash shell scripting, JBoss, Apache and related technologies.
June 2013 - July 2013: Linux Specialist, Tesco PLC (Contract)
Linux specialist providing design and strategy for a wide variety of projects across all parts of Tesco's business, on Virtual and Physical platforms. Collaborating with Storage, Network, Database and Application teams on DR, Big Data, Hadoop, Clustering, Hosting, and other projects.
December 2011 - May 2013: Infrastructure Specialist, IBM (Contract, renewed twice)
The Unix / Linux Subject Matter Expert on IBM's contract with Department for Work and Pensions. Providing expertise on RedHat Linux 4 and 5, Solaris 9 and 10, AIX 5.2-7.1 and HP-UX 11.31. Working with VMWare, Zones and LDOM, vPAR, LPAR and WPAR virtualisation technologies, on x86, SPARC, Itanium and Power hardware.
Delivering standardised, secure, best-practice builds of Operating Systems and Middleware technologies. Creating detailed and accurate documentation of requirements and installation procedures. Working with and debugging many versions and combinations of Oracle, DB2, MySQL, Informatica, Siebel, Tomcat, Apache, Samba, Perl, JBoss, and many other technologies, from 10 year old legacy releases to cutting edge configurations.
Responsible for Defining and Documenting infrastructure standards and procedures, from user account creation and management to access control and patch management. Mentoring and training offshore resources in best practices as well as in methodologies for troubleshooting and diagnosing problems.
Supporting over 500 users across 200 OS instances, providing direct assistance with Build and Deployment, Database, Shell, Java and Perl development tasks.
June 2009 - December 2011: Linux Design Consultant, Sainsbury's (Contract, renewed 7 times)
Consultant designing and implementing a Linux infrastructure to follow on from the existing Solaris environment. I used my deep understanding of Solaris and Linux, as well as SAN, Networking, Clustering, Monitoring and Application requirements to deliver a suitable solution for the business. Defining standards, procedures and best practices for design, deployment, resilience (VCS and Oracle RAC), storage and backup strategy. Delivering documentation and training for Project, Support and Operations staff to build, use, support and extend the design. Having put all of this into place, I have guided through the next six projects using the standards and procedures provided. Also worked on a virtualised Linux design using VMWare, as well as a specialised build to be rolled out to 200 stores.
September 2007 - June 2009: Technical Consultant, iNTEQ Professional Services
For Sun Professional Services, Sun Resellers and other partners, a technical authority providing Enterprise services specialising in design and build of Clusters, High-End Servers (E25K, M3000, M4000, M5000 to M9000) and Volume servers (CMT/Niagara T2000, T5000, X Series).
Designing and implementing Solaris and Linux systems and Clusters, Servers and Storage. Also writing technical documentation on ESX, RedHat, MySQL and other technologies for Sun.
September 2005 - September 2007: Technical Architect, EDS
Designing Solaris, HP-UX and Linux solutions, arranging quotes, purchase and delivery, installation and configuration of the servers across multiple environments, within EDS and Client datacentres. Providing cost models for the deployment and ongoing support of the implementation.
Also high-end Sun servers (E25K and SunCluster), including working with the Unix, SAN and network teams to provide detailed and accurate designs, coordinating across internal departments to provide a single point-of-contact for the project to achieve successful implementation. Analysing application volumetrics and workflow. Working closely with multiple suppliers. Taking a close involvement in the change management process across all environments.
June 1999 - Sep 2005: Technical Consultant, Sun Microsystems (via Netops, Sun Strategic Partner)
Sun-badged, providing Design, Installation, Configuration and Testing across the full range of Sun Professional Services offerings for Sun Microsystems clients in all markets including Financial, Telco, Retail, Utility and Public Sector. Including Solaris, SunCluster, VxVM, Storage specalisms.. Also responsible for all aspects of Internet presence of Netops and direct customers, including determining security policies and procedures, configuring, installing and administrating firewall, web server (Apache, ModSSL, PHP, MySQL), mail server, DNS.
September 1998 - May 1999: Systems Specialist, Datel Computing Ltd
AIX and SCO Systems Specialist responsible for providing consultancy, installation, and ongoing maintenance and support of systems running on RS/6000, NetFinity and other servers. Sole company expert in SCO UNIX. Personally responsible for all aspects of the server hardware, operating system, network and networked devices.
May 1997 - September 1998: Unix Installations Engineer, Siemens Nixdorf
Unix and networking for Mercedes, Tesco, Dixons. Taking the role of a Senior Engineer, I replaced the whole network – Unix clients and servers, PCs, printers, and (Unix/X11 client) Electronic Parts Catalogue systems for a Mercedes dealership within one working day without disrupting the business. This involved co-ordinating a team of 12 engineers to complete the dealership-wide upgrade.
February - May 1997: Support Engineer, GEC Alsthom Signalling Ltd
Administration of Solaris 2.5.1, Windows NT 4 and Novell NetWare. Technical support and management of PCs plus Solaris SPARCstations. Administration and maintenance of Internet gateway, ISDN connection, Intranet including Perl CGI scripting, NIS+.
September 1996 - February 1997: PC Support Technician, Refuge Assurance PLC
As part of a team of 6, on-site helpdesk support for 600 PC users running networked Windows / NetWare. SCO UnixWare and programming of utilities for its data-entry system. Administration and installation of the NetWare servers. Responsible for virus control and backup / restore facilities.
June 1994 - June 1995: Validation Engineer, ICL (Sandwich Year as part of Degree)
DRS/NX, SCO, UnixWare and Windows NT 3.5, 3.51 validation and certification, involving systems administration, hardware and software, and my specialisation in Networking - including TCP/IP, OSI, X21, V24/X25, Token Ring, UUCP, Internet Services (DNS, NNTP, etc).
Working closely with ICL's Unix developers, I got involved with the development team right down to Kernel level. This gave me a great insight into Unix internals. I also wrote a shell script which turned half a day of test preparation work into a two-minute task.
Education / Qualifications
- BSc. 2(i) (Honours) Computer Science, University of Hertfordshire (1996)
- 3 A-Levels in Computer Science, Pure & Applied Mathematics, General Studies (1992)
- 9 GCSEs including "A" in Maths & French, "B" in English Lit. and Language (1989)
- Red Hat Certified Engineer 110-278-421
- Sun Certified Systems Installer for Sun™ Cluster 3.x
- Sun Certified Data Management Engineer - VxVM + SDS
- Sun Certified System Administrator for Solaris 10 OS (Part I & II) - SR1388196
- SunCluster 2.2, 3.0, 3.2
- HDS 9970/9980 V/Lightning
- Sun Fire 15k Admin For Sun Professional Services
- Applied SunCluster 3.0 Technologies
- SunCluster 3.0 API
- SunFire 3800-15000 Server Range
- Solstice DiskSuite (Solaris LVM) 4.2.1 Update
- Volume Manager 3.2 Update
- Sun SKIP, EFS, FPS Firewall
- Sun E10000 (aka Starfire, E10k)
- Solaris: Author of tools including SMF Generator, VxVM Translator.
- Linux: Active community member 1996 - Present. Creator of http://speedtouchconf.sourceforge.net/; Author of 600-page Wiley book Shell Scripting: Expert Recipes for Linux, Bash and more and other projects.
- AIX, DRS/NX, SCO OpenServer and UnixWare, HPUX, SINIX, *BSD Unix.
- Unix / Linux Community: Author of the Bourne Shell Scripting Tutorial which is online at at http://steve-parker.org/sh/sh.shtml as well as many other articles on that site - normally ranked in the top 3 by most major search engines. I also write http://nixshell.wordpress.com/, at more of an introductory level, a widely followed *nix blog..
- Android Development: Netmask Calculator and other projects.
- Date of Birth: March 1973
- Nationality: British
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://steve-parker.org/ / http://sgpit.com/
- Location: Manchester / Cheshire / North West England